Tuesday, September 9, 2008

The Problem With Islamic Hip Hop & Pop

Okay so is it just me or has 'Islamic' Hip hop really made its way into the youth of our Ummah?

'Islamic Hip Hop' is an absolute oxymoron. I personally am a music fanatic. I play instruments, am part of a Bhangra team (Folk Dance), and listen to music all the time. I am not claiming to be a saint who adheres to my religion verbatim and I can care less with what other people do on their spare time. But to directly mix our religion with haram elements is an absolute abomination on our faith.

If most forms of music are considered haraam in Islam, how is it okay to create 'Islamic Hip Hop'. Keep in mind that the daff (hand drum) is considered halal by many. But lets be real, most Islamic Hip Hop/ Pop does not strictly use the Daff.

For anyone who disagrees on the fact that most forms of music are haraam in Islam, I will lay down some facts for you;

The Narration of Ibn Maajah :
The Messenger of Allaah said : "A people of my Ummah will drink wine, calling it by other than its real name. Merriment will be made for them through the playing of musical instruments and the singing of female singers. Allaah will cleave the earth under them and turn others into apes and swine."
This hadeeth has also been narrated by al-Bayhaaqi and ibn Asaakir, and has been authenticated by the renowned scholar of hadeeth Ibn al-Qayyim.

Narrations of Ahmed bin Hanbal :
The Messenger of Allaah said : "Verily Allaah prohibited wine, gambling and al-koobah; and every intoxicant is prohibited." Sufyan said : " I asked the narrator, Ali bin Badheemah, ' What is al-Koobah?' He answered, 'It is the drum'."

The Messenger of Allaah said : "Verily Allaah has prohibited for my Ummah wine, gambling, a drink distilled from corn, the drum and the lute; while He supplemented me with another Prayer, the witr"



These are only a few facts amongst many others that advocate the negativity of music.
So as I mentioned before, what is it with Islam,Pop Music, and Hip Hop?

Don't be so naive into thinking that these forms of 'Islamic' music are 'Halal' and all other forms of Music are 'haraam'. My friends, music is music regardless of its content. Inserting Islam into something that is already haraam, does not make it halal.


Until then,

Enjoy your Ninth Day of Ramadan :)


Salaam

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with all what you said, but I fail to comprehend one thing, if you know that music is haram and are fully convinced that it is not permissable, then why do you continue to listen to music and engage in such acts when you know that it is haram?
However, I must congratulate you, for you are one of the few people that I have seen so far in my life that admit that something is haram even if they are doing it, whereas most people try to justify their haram acts by trying to deny that they are haram and ignore all the evidence in islam that show that these acts are haram.
I still can;t understand though why you listen to music when you know it is haram?

Kamranistan Clothing Company said...

Anonymous,

I continue to listen to music because like all other humans , we all make our own personal choices. Some of us will rationalize why we do something and some of us won't.
I hope this makes sense